Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2014 is the Year of the Horse

Happy New Year!

I have no idea how good or how bad of a rider I am.  There are thousands of things I don't know about horses and riding and I honestly lack any confidence in my ability right now.  I rode on Monday, and there were several people in the arena with my friend and I, making me feel incredibly awkward.  I always feel like people are watching me and judging me.  I've only been back in the saddle for two years and I'm relearning everything, but I feel like everyone is looking at me like I've been riding forever and that I suck.

Of course, the horse I was riding probably picked up on my insecurity and that was why he decided to act like an ass.  The previous week, he was a perfect gentleman and did everything I asked... but there was no one else in the arena and I was completely comfortable.  Then this week, I was incredibly self-conscious.  Roo was okay in the beginning, but the longer I rode, the more self-conscious I became and the more he would shake his head and refuse to do what I asked.

I'm frustrated with the way I rode because when I was a kid, I was so confident and able.  I knew I was good then and now, I feel like I can't do everything I could before.  I just want to rewind time and not let myself quit riding for nine years.  I don't regret much in my life, but I regret my nine year riding hiatus everyday.

I want to make up for all the lost time.  I want to compete.  I want to train.  I want to learn.  I want to be a great rider and even though people keep telling me that it'll be impossible unless I commit fully to riding, I do want to get to the Rolex one day.

I don't want to ride just one day a week.  I want to ride almost everyday!  But I also want to make movies.

Anyway, this year I am going to work on a balancing act.  I will figure out how to be a serious rider, writer, and filmmaker all at once.

My equestrian goals for 2014 are:

  • To find a trainer/coach that I click with
  • To begin showing
  • To be well-read when it comes to horsey non-fiction

No comments:

Post a Comment