Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Confidence building

I rode Sunday instead of Monday due to some scheduling conflicts. It had been two weeks since I rode last and I can definitely feel it. I haven't been keeping up with my fitness routine either.

The horse I rode is a cute little paint named Hali.  She doesn't have much bend to her and she doesn't stay on the track.  If you try to bend her to the inside, she takes it as a cue to completely turn.  So I worked with her a little at the walk and trot (no canter because another horse in the arena freaked out when my friend and I tried).

I kept her on the wall by shifting my weight into my outside stirrup and putting pressure on the girth with my inside leg. This also created a slight bend that I had been looking for.  She didn't quite understand, or she just didn't want to, but toward the end of the ride she was getting it.

I felt pretty good about what happened during this ride because I realized that I do know what i'm doing to some extent. I assume she already knew what I was trying to do, but it felt good that she understood.

No comments:

Post a Comment